Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Stamps and Preview of our first sweepstakes

Have you taken a trip through the gift shop lately? There are actually lots of interesting treasures to find, even if you aren't much of a browser.

There are always our new arrivals...but I will write about that another day....
Our newest pottery arrivals....GREAT colors :)!
 
If you like lavender ~ you will love this new line of body products.
Instead, I want to write about my newest favorite little secret. I wondered what it was sitting on the shelf by the little secret boxes (that YUP wish all my stuff would be stored in secret boxes) but that is a whole other story!

This colorful little cylindrical wild thing may look like a bright ray of sunshine, but I skimmed over it because it wouldn't fit my decor of nik-naks on the dresser top or even in the china closet that holds treasures from my world travels. Not until I saw it in use in our office I thought it was amazing and fit as PERFECT decor! I always need a little ray of sunshine during a day of paper-pushing and what better than a useful tool like this little "not-so-nik-nak."


This little guy holds a roll of stamps and feeds the roll through a slit in its side.

Warm memories of my pop-pop as he had his special desk/card writing station...where rolls of stamps neatly sat next to his over-sized antique desk lamp's switch.

My pop-pop was a WWII veteran, wheel-chair bound for the most part his last decade from losing both legs later in life. He never really left their little one-bedroom apartment since it was so hard for the towering 6'5" man to get around, but his hugs and memories left their apartment each day as he sent personal cards and messages for every and any occasion...with seasonal appropriate stamps and stickers neatly arranged on the envelope. It was a big deal getting a card from him, usually stuffed with tracts or dollar bills. He never complained, just made himself useful, filling my memories with his cards ~bright rays of sunshine, tucked away in my memories.

Such is this little guy ~ may not travel far or wide, may not really match other stuff, but makes you smile in the middle of a 8-1/2" x 11" white with black ink kind of day. Keeps useful, ready for action when called upon, storing the stamps for that moment of calling when they will travel far and wide on some envelope.

PS
Tucked away in this blog is also a nugget ~ my plan is to have the "occasional" contest and this is a little heads up :) for those who read this far. Tomorrow we are opening the first of several sweepstakes for the 2012 summer here. Get out your cameras and start taking some pictures when you come next time to the cafe....more information tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment